Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bacon Lettuce and Tomatoes - What A Combo

Tonight for dinner we had BLTs, the classic Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. Ours had slightly more than that, but the basic ingredients are still the same.

Ingredients:

  • Bacon
  • Lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Mustard
  • Mayonnaise
  • Bread

My wife normally only uses Mayo as a condiment. I grew up with only Mustard. Tonight I had both, and I must say it tastes better that way. There are a number of ways to spruce up this classic sandwich, and many are pretty tasty.

In the past I have added sliced turkey breasts to the BLT. If you grill it slightly in a toaster oven it comes out especially nice. The same goes for thin-sliced roast beef.

I must say the tomatoes were especially good tonight. Tomatoes have been scarce since the salmonella scare a few weeks ago. California was cleared pretty quickly, but many fast food places won't carry them. I can't wait to try the ones we are growing in our salsa garden.

For the most part, I leave the recipe alone. There is a reason this is so popular on its own. It is easy to make and tastes really good.

No comments: