Thursday, July 17, 2008

Extra Meaty Chili Dogs

I am a huge fan of meat, in most shapes and forms. One way to put a lot of meat in one meal is the Chili Dog. Not just any Chili Dog, but my Extra Meaty Chili Dogs.

  • Hot Dogs
  • Canned (or home made) Chili with or without beans
  • Ground Beef
  • Grated Cheddar Cheese (Tillamook is excellent)
  • Red Onion
  • Hot Dog Bun

The ground beef I used was leftover from tacos the night before, so it was precooked. If you are cooking the ground beef (as you probably are), start by cooking the ground beef. Season to taste. Look forward to my taco recipe for a great spice to use.

Boil the number of hot dogs desired. While the hot dogs are boiling, grate the cheese and chop the onions.

The chili cooks the fastest, so put it on the stove just before the hot dogs come to a boil.

Add the ground beef to the chili. I put roughly two cups of ground beef into two cans of Hot Hormel Chili with no beans.

Once the hot dogs are boiled and the chili heated, put the hot dog on the bun. Cover liberally with chili, and add the cheese and onions. Top with yellow mustard (I use lots of it) and if you like things spicy, add some Cholula (see my post on Cholula here).

Well, that's all there is to it. See above picture for the finished product. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Kathleen Milazzo said...

I know it's probably bad for me but those look amazing. I love hot dogs with a lot of stuff on them. Chili dogs are soooo awesome. My favorite hot dog has mustard, lots of raw and grilled onions, tomatoes, salt, sliced cucumber, and sweetened sauerkraut. No more, you're killing me!

Tracee said...

My husband would love this - like you, the more meat the better!

Unknown said...

Geez! I'm seriously in need of a snack now.

Mariz said...

yummy! now i'm hungry :)